[Vision2020] Buffalo Free Press, Early Seventies Underground Newspaper

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Wed Feb 18 18:03:25 PST 2009

I remember it, too, Ted.  Speaking of that era, does anyone remember the "Universal Life Church Picnic" at Farragut State Park in 1971?  Advertised discretely in some of those very same "underground newspapers" that turned out to be quite the mini-Woodstock, 3 days around the clock bands with a crowd estimated at over 50,000.  I spent the entire 3 days there, and after about 2 days without sleep, and a couple of beers, who did I run into because they decided from watching the news stories that it would be fun to drive up to Farragut State Park and watch these crazy kids?  My parents.  It was a very brief conversation.  "Hi, mom and dad, what a surprise. I'll, uh, see you later."  Or words to that effect.  My dad always laughed about that.  Mom, maybe not so much.  Carl Westberg Jr.