[Vision2020] Now that's a bumper sticker

Jennifer Ingalls jennifer at inlandradio.com
Wed Feb 18 11:17:34 PST 2009

Effective war on drugs? Perhaps you should read "Convictions" by former New
York AUSA (now Oregon's AG) John Kroger. He's described our current drug
strategies as squeezing a balloon: you displace the problem (the air in the
balloon), but its still there. He very articulately describes in this book
how interdiction has only shifted the problem--not solved it. We still have
excessively high supply and demand for illicit drugs in the US. Jailing
mules, dealers, and even major cartel kingpins has only given rise to new
mules, dealers, and kingpins. Kroger suggests changing environmental factors
through preventative education and drug-rehabilitation is the only way we
can even make a real chink (let alone a dent) in the problem.

It's a great book--Kroger was an AUSA (assistant U.S. attorney = federal
prosecutor) on many big Mafia cases, drug cases, and worked on a lot of
post-9/11 warrants, etc.

Jennifer L. Ingalls