[Vision2020] Tunnels

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Feb 17 11:26:54 PST 2009

Kit -

You mean like this?

http://tinyurl.com/SteamTunnel

Having read utility meters throughout the UI campus for a few years, I can
tell you . . .

You can go from the Wallace Complex to the Alumni Center, and from the
Memorial Gym to the SUB, totally via steam tunnels.

Had McCain been elected president, my fall-back plan (if migration to
Canada lost its appeal) included a comfy little "cul-de-sac" about ten
feet below the Ag Building.

> Actually, the UI steam tunnels are active. They carry steam from the
> boilers at Sixth & Line to most of the buildings on campus. They also
> have wires for things like telephones and some water lines. They are
> very hot, dank, and dreary places with very low ceilings, lots of
> stuff to bang one's head on, and dropoffs to fall into.
>
> I would not be surprised if there were tunnels under the downtown. I
> remember--particularly on Third between Jefferson and Main--metal
> doors which provided access to the basements of many of the
> businesses and "windows" made of glass blocks between the doors.
>
> Kit
Craine