[Vision2020] Basketball Game Taunts

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Feb 16 12:31:16 PST 2009

In my opinion, referring to a Hispanic basketball player as "Dirty
Sanchez" is absolutely no different, and just as racially motivated, as
referring to a black basketball player as "Buckwheat".

It is simply WRONG!

Mullen High School, in Denver, is initiating disciplinary actions.

What is the University of Idaho doing other than "lip service"?

Courtesy of the CBS affiliate in Denver:

http://cbs4denver.com/local/buckwheat.Taunts.mullen.2.936078.html

Mullen Principal Addresses Basketball Game Taunts

Video:
http://www.cbs4denver.com/video/?id=53304@kcnc.dayport.com

DENVER ― A group of Mullen High School students who shouted a racial slur
at an opposing high school basketball player will be attending a meeting
on Tuesday to talk about what happened.

At the Feb. 11 game in Denver between Mullen and Overland High School a
group of Mullen football players and other students chanted "Buckwheat"
from the stands when one of Overland's African-American players stepped to
the foul line.

Greg Gotchey, principal of the private Catholic school, was at the game
and told CBS4 he tried to stop the chant when he first heard it near the
start of the game.

"I went over and asked them to stop," he said of his efforts in the first
quarter.

One student claimed they were just teasing a player about his big
hairstyle and not his skin tone.

The taunts returned in the fourth quarter, and Gotchey said he was very
surprised.

"I couldn't imagine our kids saying something like that, but they did,"
Gotchey said.

An Overland parent who is an African American emailed other parents of the
Aurora school to say the incident "shook me to the core." That person
described the taunting as a "despicable act."

Gotchey threatened the students with suspension and said he expects those
students to write a formal letter of apology. They will be meeting with
Overland's athletic director on Tuesday.

"I am confident that they are sorry and they will apologize in a more
formal tone than what has been done so far," Gotchey said.

On Friday Gotchey held an all-school assembly about the matter. Senior
Gavin Fisher said Gotchey's words made an impression.

"He went here. He knows what Mullen is all about and this just needs to be
stopped now," Fisher said.

Gotchey said he reminded the students of Mullen's core values and called
for respect for all people.

"We don't get to choose when that respect happens -- it happens 24 hours a
day, seven days a week. And unfortunately for a handful of our kids it
doesn't appear to be that way," he said.

Donna Marshall, one of the Overland parents, told the Denver Post she was
proud of how the players behaved in light of what happened. Overland wound
up winning the game.

The Colorado High School Activities Association is looking into the
incident.

At Mullen on Sunday, several students told CBS4 they were sickened by the
incident.

"This definitely broke our school apart a little bit, from the inside and
that hurts a little bit because this isn't what Mullen's about," senior
Lindsey Walker said.

CBS4 attempted on Sunday to talk to members of the Overland High School
community for this report but didn't find anyone who wished to discuss the
matter on camera prior to Tuesday's meeting.

Seeya round town, Moscow.