[Vision2020] Additional Legislative update from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Feb 14 09:49:51 PST 2009

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE - late Friday news

Constituents  --  late Friday afternoon news came out that the joint
House and Senate meetings to begin next week to review the education
budget.    Then an announcement came out that the meetings had been
cancelled and I begin receiving calls about what had happened.  It soon
became apparent that Superintendent Tom Luna's proposed budget had
created a firestorm of protest, and that we also just received news about
details of the stimulus package and its impact on K-12 education.

Public education will receive about a total of $450 million over a two
year period.   A total of $245 will be directed to the educational
stabilization fund which the state can utilize to bring up funding to
FY08 levels.   This includes $107 million for Pell Grants, $54 million
for special education, $13 million for Title 1, $11 million for school
improvement grants, and money for other specific areas which will be
calculated through set formula.   But the $245 comes with no strings
attached and will greatly assist us over the next two years in
maintaining adequate funding for education.

Superintendent Luna admitted that his original budget was a bad one and
very flawed, but he is faced with having to develop a budget that would
assist the Legislature come up with a balanced budget.
Mr. Luna as well as House Ed Chairman Nonini said all of this was very
good news.

Other stimulus components that will help include $300 for Medicaid, which
will help strengthen the safety net for many of our low income
families.   Gov. Otter should be happy with the $200 million for roads
and bridges since this is one time money and it will help employment
opportunities for our citizens. There are many other components in the
package including assistance for the area of Higher Education so it will
be interesting to see how this helps out the University of Idaho.

It certainly is good news to come at the end of the week when all of the
other news from the economy is bad.

Rep. Tom Trail