[Vision2020] Idaho Senate Approves Water-Sale Bill

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 13 18:16:01 PST 2009

Unlike garbage and sewage that are also considered infrastructure . . .
water is a public utility.

It is my opinion that tighter controls should be established, and
enforced, concerning the "sale" of our public utilities.

Once Idaho establishes the precedent of selling water outside its state
boundaries, where will it end?  Nevada?  California (who tried and failed
back in the 60s/70s to obtain Idaho water)?

I believe it was Steed . . . (or was it Krauss?) . . . that referred to
the sale of Idaho water as nothing more than a matter of interstate
commerce.  Maybe if we were discussing the sale of widgets between two
private entities, NOT the sale of a public utility between a private
company and a public entity.  That argument doesn't (if you will excuse
the pun) hold water.