[Vision2020] report from the legislature

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Wed Feb 11 16:25:50 PST 2009

Dear Friends:
February 11, 2009
Legislative Report

I often kid my fellow Democrats who go to fundraising auctions looking for bargains.  They don't seem to understand the notion of fundraising.  Now, the final details of the federal stimulus package are nearly hammered out.   As I hear some of my legislative colleagues discuss the conditions under which they might be willing to accept such funds, it occurs to me they fail to understand the basic notion.  Stimulus funds - they can be used to slow job loss, help develop a trained workforce, build roads, bridges, school buildings support K-12 and higher education.  They can also be used to help support struggling families and help folks get timely heath care.  Under normal conditions, Idaho can provide a reasonable degree of support to state agencies that provide these services, and balance the budget.  Not now.  Of course there are no guarantees this package will get us back on track, but there is plenty of evidence that extraordinary measures are necessary.  We need to get money in the hands of people who will use it and get moving.

I serve on the Transportation and Defense Committee.  It has become clear to me that Idaho does not have a revenue structure to support adequate maintenance of roads and bridges.  Yesterday, during the Transportation committee meeting, Governor Otter's plan for raising more funds was unveiled.  The Governor proposed the following:

                Remove support for the State Patrol from the Highway Distribution Account.

                Impose a 6% fee on daily rental of motor vehicles.

                Increase the state tax on motor fuel - 2 cents per year for five years.

                Increase registration fees on cars and trucks.

                Eliminate the ethanol exemption.

A good system of transportation is important, and work on roads and bridges provides jobs.  However, it's a hard time to think of raising people's taxes and fees.  It appears the federal stimulus package proposes to send over $200 million to Idaho for construction and repair of roads and bridges.

Does anybody want to adopt a wolf?  There are many who are eager for wolf delisting - they are eager for Idaho to manage the wolf population.  The question is currently in the hands of the federal government.  I would suggest that we need to give evidence that we will be responsible in our approach.  Last year, the majority of legislators passed a bill allowing ranchers to shoot wolves if they are being "annoying."  I think that language lacks specificity - many of us would be in trouble if being annoying were sufficient cause to make us a target.   In addition, I have not heard a proposal from anyone concerning a very important funding issue.  When wolves are delisted, federal funds for management will not continue to flow.  They may be available for an additional three years.  If Idaho plans state management of wolves, funding the program will not be insignificant.  An official from the Office of Endangered Species told me he thinks the feds should continue to shoulder the responsibility.  They probably won't do that.  Any Idaho management plan won't succeed without financial support.