[Vision2020] Fwd: Guantanamo Bay

brentbradberry at netscape.net brentbradberry at netscape.net
Mon Feb 9 13:26:52 PST 2009

?

? Listers;?

? Guantanamo Bay has had an unsavory reputation for many years - even?

? before the Cuban revolution. The U.S. leased it in 1903, and in 1934?

? the lease was renewed "in perpetuity" until both parties agree to?

? terminate it. The U.S. Navy has used it for a long time for periodic?

? refresher training - Atlantic Fleet ships spend a few days or weeks?

? operating out of Gitmo practicing gunnery, damage control, etc.?

? Before the Cuban revolution in 1959, sailors could go off base on?

? liberty. I was there in the 60s and 70s when liberty (shore-leave)?

? meant staying on base. As I recall, it wasn't that bad. There was a?

? golf course, ball diamonds, swimming, and cheap beer at the club. At?

? least we could stretch our legs. I learned this song in the early?

? 60s - obviously it refers to pre-revolution days. WARNING - this is?

? a sailors' song. Naturally, it's raunchy and FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY.?

? *//*?
?

? */Guantanamo Bay  /*?
?

? At Guantanamo Bay we're confined to our quarters,?

? We're scratching and sweating, we're waiting for orders,?

? We're watching the harbor, we're counting the wrecks,?

? And we're wondering which we'll be shipping on nex'.?
?

? At Guantanamo Bay, call her Gitmo for short,?

? Not much of a base, much less of a port,?

? One look at the docks, and you know that you're seein'?

? The goddamnedest hole in the whole Caribbean.?
?

?     So, hurrah for old Gitmo on Cuba's fair shore,?

?     The home of the cockroach, the flea and the whore,?

?     We'll sing of her praises and pray for the day?

?     We'll get the hell out of Guantanamo Bay.?
?

? Here you pay twenty cents for a bottle of beer,?

? They call it Hatuey, and it tastes mighty queer,?

? There's the Indian Chief on the label to show,?

? The Indian sign makes you go, go, go, go.?
?

? And the U.S.S. Alaska comes steaming in view?

? To scrape off her bottom and pick up a crew,?

? But nary a seaman was fit for the sea,?

? They'd all been on leave, and they all had VD.?
?

? Guantanamo City has hundreds of doors,?

? And everyone's jammed with hundreds of whores,?

? They hang from the windows with stark naked chests?

? And knock out your brains with their low-hanging breasts.?
?

? Well, the boys in my outfit are workin' a plan,?

? We're savin' each nickel and dollar we can,?

? And we'll buy T.N.T. and one sunshiny day?

? We'll blow up this goddamned Guantanamo Bay.?
?

? Warm regards and apologies to those of delicate sensibilities,?

? Brent "I was Old Navy before it was a brand" Bradberry?
?

?