[Vision2020] Water Sale Bill

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:03:35 PST 2009

This debate has already been parsed in detail on Vision2020 during the
months following the Moscow City Council's deal about a year ago to sell
sewer services and water to the Hawkins development:

http://www.pwcn.org/index.cfm?fa=contentNews.newsDetails&newsID=56629&from=list&directoryId=21655
--------
During this discussion last year, I asked if there was available to the
public a professional independently conducted economic impact study of the
potential economic impact of the Hawkins development on Moscow's economy.  I
do not recall any such study being referenced.  If someone can reference
such a study, it would be useful.

In the absence of such a study, those who are not professional economists
who either insist that the Hawkins development will be a economic benefit,
or not, to the Moscow economy, without offering a detailed economic analysis
based on research, hard data and statistics, are not very convincing.

I'm not saying a person must be a professional economist to have an informed
opinion on the economic impact of the proposed Hawkins Mall, only that the
opinion to be convincing should be based on fact based research.  For
example, find other examples of major malls being built just across a state
and county line adjacent to a city of Moscow's size to determine if such a
mall helped or hurt that city's economy.

Regarding the "milkshake" example (which refers to the metaphor of using a
long straw to drink someone elses milkshake from a distance, from the film
"There Will Be Blood," i.e. horizontal drilling in the oil industry to
access oil under someone elses land) to justify supporting Moscow making
profit off Hawkins water consumption, given they will use the water from the
same aquifers that Moscow utilizes anyways, even if Moscow does not sell
them the water:  If it is scientifically valid that the aquifers are being
depleted to an extent that mandates conservation, the best long term
interests of the area are not served by making short term profits.  Rather
than changing laws to allow Moscow to sell Hawkins water, legal means should
be sought, if possible, to stop Hawkins from large scale use of aquifer
accessed water.

Accurate information regarding the depletion and potential recharge of the
aquifers in the Moscow area is necessary to evaluate this issue.  If a
definite scientific evaluation is not currently possible, conservation of
water is indicated till more science based information on the future of
water resources in our area can be obtained, and/or other sources of water
than pumping from the aquifer are realistic and being planned, such as a
reservoir.

The long term impacts on the economy of resource extraction will
become increasingly critical as population increases. The population of the
Moscow/Pullman area could easily (or not, perhaps) grow by tens of thousands
by 2100.  Imagine the Moscow/Pullman corridor becoming a seamless business
and residential development linking the two cities.  It seems inevitable
that the Hawkins Mall will encourage land in Whitman County near the mall to
be developed further for both business and residential use.  Long term
planning for wise resource use involves planning for the next generation's
access to these resources, which is often absent in the arguments for short
term economic gain based on resource extraction.  If the aquifers supplying
the area do become critically depleted, what will the costs be to supply
water, even if possible, by other means?

Ted Moffett