[Vision2020] water sale bill

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Sun Feb 8 08:17:46 PST 2009

This issue is very divisive to our community. I come down on the side
which does not wish to encourage development outside of our ability to
tax  that development. Idaho water, and in particular Latah county
water is a very precious commodity. Why in heaven's name do we want to
sell it to out of state interests? Particularly during the difficult
times we should be looking to enhance our revenues, not ship them out
of state.

Now, we already have lost James Toyota from the state, county and city
revenue stream. Can you imagine what a mega-mall just across the border
will do to our tax base if we encourage them to build there by handing
them water and other infrastructure?

I tire of the argument "they are going to build it anyway, so we may as
well just sell them the water."
This legislation smacks of "special interest" gifting, and I do hope a
large percentage of Latah county residents will begin to turn their
attention toward the supporters of this initiative.

Thanks for listening,
Roger Hayes
Moscow