[Vision2020] Christmas Craft Fun Day

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:06:11 PST 2009

Hampster,

All University Events and Conferences are made through that office, regardless of who owns the building. You want college students to run the day to day operations and management of its buildings (Kibbie Dome, SUB, Rec Center, and Idaho Commons), and its employees? Not likely a realistic solution, not to mention it would be confusing for people who wanted to rent a space to try and find out who owned each building. ASUI's input is at the top, deciding funding, management, procedures and policy.

Second, your quoted SBOE doesn't prohibit Freedom of Religion to private organizations that rent or use the buildings. There are dozens of religious organizations that use UI and ASUI property for religious events, not just Doug Wilson.

What is prohibited is not the use of the space for religious events, but the banning of one religious group, or only allowing one religious group to practice. The First Amendment protects everyone to practice their religion equally, regardless of if we agree or disagree with it, and how much we disagree or dislike its membership.

You cannot be for the First Amendment only when people are saying and doing what you agree with, Hampster. Popular speech doesn't need protection.

Donovan Arnold