[Vision2020] Christmas Craft Fun Day

John Pool jpool at moscow.com
Sat Dec 12 16:57:37 PST 2009

Donovan,

While you might be right that the folks who support the separation of
church and state would find in this event something else to rail about, I
think it's going to be a hard sell. Although Christmas remains a Christian
holiday, it has been very much secularized. Government offices are closed
for Christmas, as are most businesses. Indeed much of the rest of the
western world, Christian or not, observes the holiday. A good friend of
mine, a Muslim in a family of Muslims, wrote me recently to comment that she
was often "cheated" out of birthday presents (her birthday is Dec. 27) while
growing up because her Christmas presents were supposed to suffice for both
celebrations.

I also rather suspect (although I don't *know*) that the facility was rented
to The Grange for their event. If that was the case, then I think the
location is purely incidental to the purpose of the event, sponsored as it
is by a fraternal organization with no particular religious ties.

There may be a rabid separatist "out there" who sees this event as being the
thin wedge, but I would be very surprised if she or he would want to expend
much human capital on this particular matter.

John Pool