[Vision2020] Some reasons I'm skeptical about anthropogenic global warming

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 10:41:37 PST 2009

Since I feel I've basically made myself into a pariah on this list
because of my skepticism towards anthropogenic global warming, I thought
I'd go whole hog and totally alienate myself from all free-thinking
people by expanding upon my opinion by giving more detail and examples
of why I'm skeptical.

A Note About Skepticism

Someone who is skeptical about a subject is not the same thing as a
"denier" or a "contrarian".  A "denier" would be someone who is
unequivocally stating that the subject is incorrect.  A "contrarian"
would automatically be stating the opposite conclusion is true, no
matter what was said.  A skeptic, on the other hand, is merely
expressing doubt about the topic.

Thus, I will explain some of my doubts.

Climate vs. Weather

Weather and climate are different, yet related, topics.  In effect,
climate is an aggregation of weather data over a large period of time.
How warm is the Earth, today?  Right here, it's very cold.  There are
blizzards in the mid-west.  In Tokyo, it's 52F.  In Sydney it's 77F.
These temperatures change quickly over time.  If you took an average
temperature right now at every weather station on the globe, how good a
representation of the Earth's temperature would it be?  There are large
parts of the globe that are a large distance away from a weather
station.  In some places, you may be a short drive from several.  Factor
in the temperature of the water in the oceans in various spots and at
various depths and the temperature of other bodies of water such as
lakes and rivers and the temperature at various altitudes in our
atmosphere, and you have a confusing jumble of data that you're trying
to coalesce into one number.

How useful is that number?  It's presumably useful for long-term trends,
but may not tell you much on it's own.  How long-term?  A few days?  A
few months?  A few years?  A few decades?  Longer?  How chaotic is the
system?  Does that number change fractionally from hour-to-hour,
day-to-day, or month-to-month?  Does it jump all over the place?  If you
had a thermometer that was connected to all of these data sources and
more that could show you the exact averaged temperature at any moment,
what would it look like?  Would the needle be rock-solid or would it be
vibrating like mad?

I've learned from playing around with the NCDC global temperature
datasets that more information does not automatically lead to clearer
conclusions.

The State of the Data Past 1850 or So

Unfortunately, we don't have data going back before about 1850 that is
global in scope.  That's about 160 years, which is a small fraction of
the amount of time we should be looking back.

The current global temperature data that we do have available comes from
three places and covers data from around 1850 onward.  Some of it comes
from NASA's Goddarad Institute for Space Studies, some of it from the
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, and some of it from the CRU at the
University of East Anglia, which is the victim of that data hack (or
whistle-blowing event) that hasn't been all over the mainstream media.
The CRU and NCDC datasets are averaged data for the month for each
station.  I haven't looked at the GISS data yet, so I don't know if it's
averaged by month or not.

I won't belabor the point about my current mistrust of the CRU dataset
too much, suffice it to say that since they have "lost" the original raw
data and don't have methodologies posted that I can find about how they
made it into their current "value-added" set of data, so I'm pretty much
discounting it completely.

I am somewhat familiar with the NCDC's dataset, since that's the one
I've been playing around with plotting. There are stark differences
between the raw dataset and the adjusted dataset.  Sometime in the
future I'll have some nice plots that will show these adjustments.
However, at least we have access to the raw data.  I did dig around on
the net a little, and came across this:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/img/climate/research/ushcn/ts.ushcn_anom25_diffs_urb-raw_pg.gif
Take a look at that graph, and think what would happen if you took any
old mp3 file and plotted it's waveform as if it's global temperature
data, then applied that adjustment to it.  What would it show?  Yep, you
guessed it, global warming.

I'm not familiar with the GISS dataset, so I can offer no conclusions
about it's trustworthiness.

Another problem is that the stations that provide this data move around
or change in some other way over time.  What used to be an isolated
station perfect for measuring weather gets a parking lot put in next to
it, raising the temperature by 1C.  A station gets moved behind a
building, too close to an exhaust fan for the air conditioning.  You
name it, it's happened.  Look at http://surfacestations.org for an idea
of the quality of data we're getting from these stations.  Take a good
look at the pie chart labeled "USHCN - Station Site by Quality Rating".
Notice that with 82% of the sites surveyed, 69% of them are categorized
as having an error bar of >= 2C, 61% of them as having an error bar of
 >= 5C.  That's in the US, I don't know how other countries stack up.

The State of the Data Before 1850 or So

Well, there isn't much.  Not that I've seen, anyway.  There are probably
temperature records that go back farther than that, but they are
sparse.  Before that, it's anecdotal.  Descriptions of storms, bad
winters or good summers, etc.  Go far enough back, and there is no data
whatsoever produced by man.

This only gets you back a short amount time compared to the time frame
of the Earth.  It's just a blink of an eye, geographically speaking.

Temperature Proxies

So how do we graph temperature going back before 1850?  Using
temperature proxies.  These are measurements that are only indirectly
related to temperature.  These are things like tree ring growth, coral
growth, composition of snow, and others.  You basically take some
natural process that can be measured currently that has a history of
growth fluctuations over time and try to determine based on what causes
those fluctuations what the past was like.

The simple example, which is central to some of the debates about the
CRU email hack, is tree rings.  Trees grow better in certain temperature
ranges, and they grow a new ring every year.  So you can go back and
measure the size of the rings to get a basic determination of how well
the tree grew that year.  That, presumably, gives you some idea of what
the temperature record was like in the past.

The problem with this is that temperature is not the only variable that
affects tree growth.  There are other factors which affect this, such as
moisture, tree placement (how much competition it has for sunlight),
disease, soil composition, and who knows how many others.  You can
measure tree rings on a lot of trees to try to average some of these
factors out that affect individual trees, but you are still stuck with a
few that should be taken into consideration, such as moisture or
rainfall.  How much each of these factors affects trees varies by the
kind of tree that is being sampled.

You take your tree ring growth chart and your reconstructed temperatures
and you run them against known temperatures for that region (1850 to
present, if the temperature record there goes back that far), and
compare the data points.  If there is a good fit, then you have some
validation that the proxy you are using might be correlated with
temperature.  This is still doubtful to some degree, because we only
have a temperature record that covers about 160 years, which may or may
not be really accurate.  These proxies are being used, by looking at
fossils of trees, to go back one or two thousand years.

The controversy about "hide the decline" that you may have heard about
has to do with tree rings for pine trees in Yamal in Siberia.
Apparently, if you compare the reconstruction with current temperature
records, you get a pretty good fit until about 1960 or so.  After that
point, the reconstructed temperature falls off while the temperature
record goes up.  The trick to hide the decline had to do with splicing
the temperature record onto the reconstructed temperature record at 1960
and smooth the curve, then cut it at 1960 in order to make the curve
that ends at 1960 appear to be curving up instead of down.  There is a
good explanation of this here:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/20/mikes-nature-trick/  In my
opinion, that discrepency (50 years over at most 160 years don't fit)
should have signaled to them that that proxy was not a good proxy for
temperature.  Instead, they tried to make it appear that it fit better
than it did, so that they could show that the remainder of the
reconstruction record before 1850 was more valid than it would otherwise
appear to be.  Another criticism I've seen about this study is that they
used a small number of trees to get their data points.  Twelve trees, I
think.  That's obviously not enough to get an accurate reconstruction,
even if tree rings are a good proxy for temperature.

The Medieval Warm Period and the Little Ice Age

Why did they try so hard to make their reconstruction look better than
it did?  Because they wanted to minimize the "Medieval Warm Period" and
the "Little Ice Age".  This came out in the hacked emails.  Here is an
explanation of this from a blog post:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/06/american-thinker-understanding-climategates-hidden-decline/

The MWP was a period of time (about 800 - 1300 AD) during which the
temperature of the Earth appeared from historical writings to be at
least as high as the current temperature or even higher.  The LIA was a
period of time from about 1500 or so to 1850 during which temperatures
were low and slowly climbing, with minimal temperatures at various
points interspersed with periods of slight warming.

There is evidence that both of these phenomena were global in scale,
although the exact periods of time change a bit in different areas of
the Earth.  You have the Vikings colonizing Greenland and farming there
for 400 years, and you have various other measurements that coincide
with this.  The Wikipedia article on MWP has a handful of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_warm_period  For example, here is
a link to a description of an article that was published in Nature that
describes how the Indo-Pacific Warm Pool may have been as warm during
the MWP as it is today: http://www.physorg.com/news170598165.html

So why try to minimize the MWP and the LIA?  Look at how it frames the
debate.  If it was naturally warmer one thousand years ago than it is
now, and we're recovering from a severe cold bout that has lasted 600
years, then global warming can be seen as a natural correction to the
LIA.  Furthermore, life during the MWP was prosperous, not some sort of
hell on earth that killed billions.  It's much more profitable and much
more ego-building to show that you are trying to save the world from a
mistake that we as a species has made, since we can presumably do
something about it.  That's why I am skeptical of these tree ring
proxies and our ability to state with any confidence exactly what the
temperatures were like.

Conclusions

Well, I was going to write about Climate Model accuracy, Milankovich
Cycles, the Maunder Minimum, the Earth's history of Ice Ages and a few
other topics, but this has already turned into a book.  Look them up if
you're curious.

So, basically, I'm doubtful of the following things, to one degree or
another:

Our ability to accurately graph global temperature with accuracy over
extended periods of time and have it mean much.

The "adjustments" made to the three basic datasets that we use for
plotting temperature.

The accuracy of our current temperature measurements used in these datasets.

Our ability to accurately reconstruct temperature before 1850 based on
various temperature proxies.

The predictive ability of tree-ring proxies in particular and their
explanatory ability for past temperatures.

The removal of the Medieval Warm Period from the temperature record, and
indeed our general idea of what temperature has been like over the last
2000 years.

Now, on to what I'm not saying.  I'm not saying that the Earth is not
warming.  It seems pretty clear that it is warming, or has been since
1850, generally speaking.  I'm not saying that carbon dioxide does not
have an affect on temperature, or that man is not having an affect in
other ways as well.  I'm not saying that massive amounts of CO2 aren't
harming our oceans.

But I am skeptical about the science being "settled", and I'm skeptical
that we have enough of an understanding of the problem to warrant the
massive media campaign that is currently going on and the massive
expenditures that could come out of Copenhagen.  There is room for doubt
here about a lot of things.  Let's do more science.

In twenty years, when it's all been proven and it turns out that the AGW
hypotheses were correct, will I feel like an idiot for being skeptical
of it now?  No.  In my opinion, the question is still up in the air and
I won't feel even a little bit chagrined then for doubting some of their
conclusions now.  How would some of these scientists handle the opposite
answer 20 years from now, I wonder?

Paul

My apologies for the long post.