[Vision2020] The American Humanist Association brings the National Humanist Holiday Campaign to Moscow

Bill London london at moscow.com
Mon Dec 7 11:51:22 PST 2009

"No God?...No Problem" is not a new message for Moscow, Idaho residents, the slogan already appearing on a billboard in the area, but today they will receive it in a new format with their daily news. The American Humanist Association has placed newspaper inserts--which feature the advertising slogan along with the full text of "Humanism and its Aspirations," the third humanist manifesto--in the Moscow-Pullman Daily News and the Lewiston Tribune. The billboard and inserts are part of a national humanist holiday campaign that has been launched by the American Humanist Association, which also includes ads on public transportation systems in Washington, DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. An image of the ad can be found at: http://www.americanhumanist.org/system/storage/29/1264/holiday-interior-ad-300dpi.jpg .

"Our ethical values are commonly misunderstood, so we're using these newspaper inserts as a way to explain to people what we believe as humanists," said Roy Speckhardt, executive director of the American Humanist Association. "Particularly during the holidays, a time when nontheists can feel especially marginalized, it's important to raise awareness about the humanist philosophy and the fact that just because a person doesn't believe in God, doesn't mean they don't believe in anything."

The back of the newspaper insert, which displays the humanist manifesto, begins with a definition: "Humanism is a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity." It continues on to touch on the major tenets of humanism, including that "Knowledge of the world is derived by observation, experimentation and rational analysis" and "Ethical values are derived from human need and interest as tested by experience." There are six points in all, and it concludes, "The responsibility for our lives and the kind world in which we live is ours and ours alone."

Previous Moscow billboards, which have read "Don't Believe in God? You are not alone," "Want a Better World? Prayer Not Required" and "Millions are good without God," have been met with both acclaim and controversy. One of the most recent billboards garnered much attention after it was vandalized twice within two weeks.

Twelve hundred newspaper inserts will appear in Moscow and its surrounding towns. The insert will appear in 7,500 copies of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News and 4,500 copies of the Lewiston Tribune. Speckhardt joked, "We want to drive our message home, literally."

The American Humanist Association (www.americanhumanist.org) advocates for the rights and viewpoints of humanists. Founded in 1941 and headquartered in Washington, D.C., its work is extended through more than 100 local chapters and affiliates across America.

Humanism is the idea that you can be good without a belief in God.

###

For more information contact:

Karen Frantz, Communications and Policy Manager
American Humanist Association
202-238-9088
703-725-4112 (c)
kfrantz at americanhumanist.org