[Vision2020] In What Year Was This Photo Taken?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 5 17:15:25 PST 2009

Sad we don't know. But it was before I was born for sure :P

We know that Williams Department Store did not open until 1911. And we know that David moved into the Ely building in 1919.

Also looking at the utility poles, they were different in 1908 photos, and they look way different than the 1925 utility polls.

My guess, is the photo was taken between 1919 and 1924. I would guess is was the winter of 1919 and 1920. The best way to confirm is to go to the library and look up the weather archives.

It looks like the man is crossing the street from the Moscow Hotel to do some Christmas shopping at the new store. I wonder if he found what he was looking for or had to go on Ebay?

For the record, he isn't jaywalking, he is at an intersection, and has the right of way :P.

It looks like business back then didn't shovel their walkways either, hopefully the MPD won't issue a citation to the Moscow Hotel. :P

Thanks for the old Photo, Tom.

Donovan