[Vision2020] U.S. State Department OKs Pipeline From Canada's Environmentally Destructive Oil Sands

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 10:44:27 PDT 2009

The US's green energy future under development... Green as in greenbacks...
------------------
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2009/2009-08-21-091.asp

"The State Department has rubber-stamped a project that will mean more air,
water and global warming pollution, particularly in the communities near
refineries that will process this dirty oil," said Earthjustice attorney
Sarah Burt. "The project's environmental review fails to show how
construction of the Alberta Clipper is in the national interest. We will go
to court to make sure that all the impacts of this pipeline are considered."

The environmental and native groups point out that "Tar sands development in
Alberta is creating an environmental catastrophe, with toxic tailings ponds
so large they can be seen from space and plans to strip away the forests and
peat lands in an area the size of Florida."

"In addition," they argue, "greenhouse gas emissions from tar sands
production are three times that of conventional crude oil and it contains 11
times more sulfur and nickel, six times more nitrogen and five times more
lead than conventional oil. These toxins are released into the U.S. air and
water when the crude oil is processed into fuels by refineries."

The coalition says this decision contradicts President Obama's promise to
cut global warming and America's addiction to oil while investing in a clean
energy future.

"The tar sands pipeline connects U.S. refiners and consumers with the
dirtiest, most carbon-intensive crude oil on earth," said Kevin Reuther,
Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy's legal director.

"Tar sands crude is causing massive environmental degradation in Canada and
results in significantly more greenhouse gas emissions. This is the absolute
wrong step to take if we want to create a greener energy future."

The State Department found that allowing the pipeline to be built across the
U.S.-Canadian border would be in the national interest of the United States.
But the coalition argues that instead, this pipeline will hurt the United
States.
"Importing dirty tar sands oil is not in our national interest," said Bruce
Baizel, Earthworks' senior staff attorney. "At a time when concern is
growing about the national security threat posed by global warming, it
doesn't make sense to open our gates to one of the dirtiest fuels on Earth.
This pipeline will lock America into a dirty energy infrastructure for years
to come. This is exactly the kind of project the State Department should be
protecting us from."