[Vision2020] Fwd by Request: NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco Leads U.S. Delegation to World Climate Conference-3

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:53:12 PDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Love America <skialaska0 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco Leads U.S.
Delegation to World Climate Conference-3
To: Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com

Hi Ted,

Glad to see you have kept up on the GHG issue and I have noticed you been
doing a good job letting us know the Obama Administration's actions to
reduce GHG.  However, there is a a dark side to this current
administration like past administrations, Democrat or Republican, is tied to
big oil.  Take a careful look at yesterday's Federal Register.  Buried deep
in there is a permit issued by the Department of State, August 3, 2009, for
Enbridge to build the Albert Clipper Project (ACP).  ACP is designed to move
heavy oil and natural gas condensates from Alberta and BC's *tar
sands*projects to refineries located throughout the US Midwest and
Ontario.   This
pipeline will transport 450,000 barrels/day (the Trans-Alaska Pipeline
currently carries around 550,000 barrels/day) of heavy oil extracted from
the most environmentally destructive (huge strip mines and an unbelievable
amount of GHG as well) mines imaginable. So what was the Obama
Administration's statement in the permit (page 26 of 28)? (note the bold
words are mine)

"*Concerns have been raised about higher-than-average levels of greenhouse
gas (GHG) emissions associated with oil sands crude.  The Department has
considered these concerns, and considers they are best addressed in the
context of the overall set of domestic policies that Canada and the United
States will take to address the respective greenhouse gas emissions.  The
United States will continue to reduce reliance on oil through conservation
and energy efficiency measures, such as recently increased Corporate Average
Fuel Economy (CAFE`) standards, as well as through the pursuit of
comprehensive climate legislation and an ambitious global agreement on
climate change that includes substantial emissions reductions for both the
United States and Canada.  The Department, on behalf of the Administration,
will urge ambitious action by Canada, and will cooperate with the Canadian
government through the U.S.-Canada Clean Energy Dialogue and other processes
to promote deployment of technologies that reduce our respective GHG
emissions.*"
Sorry to tell the readers of Vision 2020, Obama has just blessed expansion
of the tar sands operations...hardly the environmental warrior that he has
been portrayed as....

So I leave you all with a question:, Why does a "pro environmental"
Democratic Administration and Congress actively support the vast expansion
of a mining/extraction operation that has been called the most
environmentally destructive project mankind has ever attempted and will
destroy *millions* of acres of subarctic boral forests releasing almost
unimaginable amounts of GHG, yet for the same amount of oil over the same
time frame, will not open *2000* acres of ANWR?  Can somebody please explain
the logic of this?

Enjoy that 100 degree day!

Chris