[Vision2020] Minnick Discusses Health Care Position at Town Hall

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Aug 27 05:56:56 PDT 2009

Courtesy of today's (August 27, 2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Minnick discusses health care position at town hall
Congressman finds mostly polite crowd in Moscow despite controversy
elsewhere in Idaho

Congressman Walt Minnick drew mixed but mostly polite reviews while
discussing health care reform and defending his voting record at a Moscow
town hall meeting on Wednesday evening.

The freshman 1st District Democrat took questions from a crowd of roughly
200 people at the 1912 Center for nearly two hours. The event was
sponsored by the Latah County Democrats.

Outside, the flag stood at half mast in honor of the late liberal icon and
health care reform advocate Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass. Inside, one the
party's most recognizable conservative and self-described "Blue Dogs"
defended his opposition to current Democratic proposals for health care
reform, particularly the controversial public health insurance option.

Though critical at times, the questions and tenor of the meeting remained
subdued, standing in contrast Minnick's meeting before 600 people in Coeur
d'Alene the previous evening that drew more emotional responses in
positive and negative directions.

"The fact that there is such an intense interest ... is a most encouraging
sign that democracy is alive and well," he said. "It's very refreshing."

Minnick said his opposition to the public option stems from concerns over
increasing the deficit and said he would vote against the 1,047 page bill
produced by the U.S. House of Representatives.

"I'm not going to vote for any legislation that digs the debt ... deeper,"
he said.

Instead, Minnick said he would like to focus on reforms in the private
sector, such as giving small businesses more competitive insurance options
as well as exploring preventive, lifestyle-changing measures to reduce
obesity and smoking.

"I'd like to give free enterprise another chance," he said.

Unlike the many of the raucous, largely anti-public-option town hall
meetings other members of Congress have faced, Minnick had the unique
challenge of defending his position to a room full of people mostly in
favor of the proposal.

Many of the questions from the crowd centered on Minnick's overall voting
record. He has raised eyebrows in Idaho and Washington, D.C., by breaking
from the party ranks on several key votes over the eight months he has
been in office. He voted against bailouts for the auto and financial
industries, the stimulus package and other spending bills sponsored by the
majority party.

Moscow resident Rose Huskey gave one of the more forceful repudiations of
Minnick's positions.

"Based on your voting record, what liberal-progressive Democrat would
support you in (the 2010 election)?" she asked.

University of Idaho Political Science Department Chairman Don Crowley was
also critical of Minnick, particularly on the public option.

"I don't agree with (your views), but I do appreciate your honesty,"
Crowley said.

Unless Bill Sali re-enters the political ring in 2010, I will NOT be
voting for Walt Minnick.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown