[Vision2020] Obesity and genetics?

Lynn McCollough lmccollough at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:42:38 PDT 2009

While I certainly concede a genetic potential to obesity, I have wondered if
good old home cooking combined with family habits of preferred leisure time
activities (exercise) could ever be satisfactorily teased out of childhood
obesity tendencies.
The kid who is raised on say, tasty southern cooking family recipes and
connects with football as a fan but never actually plays a sport.
Demographic obesity studies show that traditional southern cooking is very
high in fat, AND that most obese people in the US live in the south. Is it
simply genetics? How much is regional (or family) dietary preferences?
How many of these family traits come from the kitchen?
Football fan who does not play the game, Lynn