[Vision2020] "I've had enough of reading things by neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 23:52:31 PDT 2009

I listened to Eddie Vedder's version of Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth," given
your reference.  His vocal delivery is not radically different than John
Lennon's version on his album "Imagine," it seemed to me, though the wording
is a bit different, in a few places.  What I missed was the awesome guitar
solo from Lennon's version, during the middle song break, which was absent
from Vedder's version. This guitar solo has great impact in Lennon's
version.  Both versions communicate much the same meaning.

As far as a person's "generation" being critical in deciding which music is
most important, why would someone want to limit themselves in this manner?
Music is an infinite world of emotion and expression (given time to listen
and a person's lifespan), that spans centuries upon centuries of human life
and culture.  From Hildegard von Bingen to Jane Siberry, from Bach to
Ligetti, from Islamic Sufi mysticism to Tool, Medieval plainchant to modern
minimalism, my generation's musical content is but a small slice of musical
meaning and history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMnXjLD7J24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTaiDHqs5s

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/mysticalpathwaynurhu/

I like the 1940s channel on XM radio... Not from my generation, but that's
perhaps partly why I find it appealing... The music has not been on the
radio, or a favorite of my peers, or commercialized on the TV, or promoted
in hyped mega concert, at least not very much, since I have been alive.  I
can listen to it without some of the culturally conditioned baggage that
music often carries...

Speaking of escaping culturally conditioned baggage...

"Strawberry Fields Forever," Lennon at his best... He should have stayed in
his mystical fields, hiding, rather than facing political activism as though
it was an obligation, as though he was facing reality, given he was too
beautiful and innocent a soul for this corrupt world, and payed with his
life...

Lennon's achingly beautiful and innocent song for his mother Julia, who died
in a brutal car accident when he was a teenager:

Julia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0shbwip_sI

-------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_Forever

"*Strawberry Fields Forever*" is a song by the English
rock<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music>band The
Beatles <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles>. Recorded at the end of
1966, the song was written by John
Lennon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon>during the filming of
*How I Won The War <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Won_The_War>* and is
formally credited to the
Lennon/McCartney<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennon/McCartney>songwriting
team. It is named after a Salvation
Army <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvation_Army> house in Beaconsfield
Road, Woolton, Liverpool <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool> where
Lennon played as a child.

"Strawberry Fields Forever" was originally recorded for the album *Sgt.
Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
Band<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper%27s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band>
* (1967), but was instead released in February 1967 as a double A-side
single backed with Paul McCartney's "Penny
Lane<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Lane>".
"Strawberry Fields Forever" reached number eight in the US, with numerous
critics describing it as one of the group's best
recordings.[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_Forever#cite_note-amg-sff-0>
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_Forever#cite_note-rs500s-1>It
is one of the defining works of the psychedelic
rock <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychedelic_rock> genre and has been
covered <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_version> by many other artists.
The song was later included on the *Magical Mystery
Tour<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Mystery_Tour_(album)>
* LP (1967). The Strawberry Fields
memorial<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_(memorial)>in
New