[Vision2020] Nation of Laws

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:00:46 PDT 2009

Roger --

(1) We are not a nation of laws if our laws do not apply to our government.
Especially not when the law in question (our law against torture) is
specifically intended to constrain the actions of people purporting to
torture "under color of law."

(2) I'm going to set aside the absurdity of your analogy for a moment here
and accept, in the context of this argument, that violations of the law by
the country's most powerful politicians are morally equivalent to violations
of the law by Americans lacking even basic rights of citizenship. I'm also
going to accept that violations of the law in order to commit extraordinary
and illegal acts of violence against people wholly under our control are
equivalent to sitting down at a lunch counter or peaceable assembly.

Even accepting that these insane things are true, you've missed the point of
civil disobedience. The point of civil disobedience is to subject yourself
to the law to prove the law's injustice. If you're not submitted to the
judgment of the law, you haven't committed civil disobedience; you've just
proven the law to have no effect. The admission that you're subject to the
law -- and that that law is unjust -- is part of civil disobedience. By
civilly disobeying, you make the (poor) bet that when the jury comes out of
seclusion, they will join you in disobeying the law.

I'm willing to take that bet with regard to torture.

(3) You're telling me, Roger, that it's cowardice to sell out American
principles in order to (possibly) save a few American lives?

-- ACS