[Vision2020] Ted Williams and pay cuts

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Apr 30 12:30:07 PDT 2009

I am not sure how much credibility (or lack thereof) to give to your article,
Roger.

Wikipedia at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Williams

"In a climactic ending to his career, he hit a home run in his very last at
bat on September 28, 1960."

Maybe you are right, kinda.  1960 was "more than 30 years ago".

Ted Williams earned $6,500 his first year (1939) with the Boston Red Sox and
$125,000 in his retirning year (1960).

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=willite01

One fact about Ted Williams that FAR outshines any other stat of any other
player in baseball history.

During the early years of his baseball career he enlisted and saw combat duty
in World War 2, returning to baseball upon war's end.  At the height of his
baseball career, when he was earning an estimated $100,00 per year, Ted
Williams enlisted (again) and saw combat duty in Korea.  Again returning to
baseball upon war's end.

All the pay cuts in the world can't even begin to match Ted Williams' sense of
loyalty, patriotism, and absolute commitment,

Pro patria,

> More than 30 years ago, Ted Williams was closing out his career with the
> Boston Red Sox. He was suffering from a pinched nerve in his neck that season.
> "The thing was so bad" he he latter explained "that I could hardly turn my
> head to look at the pitcher."
> For the first time in hs career he batted under .300, hitting just .254 with
> 10 home runs. He was the highest-salaried player in sports, making $125,000.
> The next year the Red Sox sent him the same contract.
> When he got the contract, Williams sent it back with a note saying that he
> would not sign it until they gave him the full pay cut allowed. " I was always
> treated fairly by the Red Sox when it came to contracts" Williams said. "Now
> they are offering me a contract  I didn't deserve. And I only wanted what I
> deserved."
> Williams cut his own salary by 25 percent, raised his batting average by 62
> points, and closed out a brilliant career by hitting a home run in his final
> time at the bat.
> (from a speech by A. Thomas Young, President and CEO of Martin Marietta
> Corporation)
>
> Roger

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"The Pessimist complains about the wind, the Optimist expects it to change and
the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown