[Vision2020] State Faculty Union Responds to Financial Crisis

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 29 13:21:36 PDT 2009

I wonder if they were thinking of the payroll lag?  When we changed administrative systems, we moved from being paid on Friday for work done the bi-week ending that week to being paid on Friday for work done in the previous bi-week.  In this case, there were at least three options: lose one day of pay a bi-week for ten bi-weeks, lose one week of pay a bi-week for two bi-weeks, or lose one whole bi-week of pay once.  There might have been other options I can't remember.  The difference, though, is that there was no time off associated with it.  In effect, it moved one paycheck to the end of your job life - you'll get one more bi-week worth of pay after you stop working.

I don't know if we ever did an actual furlough before that.  I've worked here since 1989, and I don't remember one.

They could implement this furlough in lots of different ways.  It wouldn't have to be all at once.

Paul