[Vision2020] Habeas Corpus at Bagram

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Apr 27 14:55:34 PDT 2009

Oh, yeah.

Now, there's an appropriate comparison . . . Bush and Lincoln.

Jeesh!

And Hitler merely made a bad career move.

> On April 27, 1861, habeas corpus was suspended by President Abraham
Lincoln in Maryland
> and parts of midwestern states. It does some good to actually look at
what Lincoln wrote
> ESPECIALLY the line in the second part when the phrase "during the
rebellion" is used. GWB

> and
> his ilk  NEVER specified a time period, PLUS it specifies "and liable to
trial and
> punishment by
> courts-martial or military commission." When  texas George and his gang
tried to pull this

> off,
> there were NO courts-martial or military commissions to give the
prisoners a trial.

> "Whereas, It has become necessary to call into service, not only
volunteers, but also
> portions of
> the militia of the States by draft, in order to suppress the
insurrection existing in the
> United
> States, and disloyal persons are not adequately restrained by the
ordinary processes of
> law
> from hindering this measure, and from giving aid and comfort in various
ways to the
> insurrection. Now, therefore, be it ordered, that during the existing
insurrection, and as

> necessary measure for suppressing the same, all rebels and insurgents,
their aiders and
> abettors within the United States, and all persons discouraging
volunteer enlistments,
> resisting
> militia drafts, or guilty of any disloyal practice affording aid and
comfort to the rebels

> against
> the authority of the United States, shall be subject to martial law, and
liable to trial
> and
> punishment by courts-martial or military commission.
> Second: That the writ of habeas corpus is suspended in respect to all
persons arrested, or

> who
> are now, or hereafter during the rebellion shall be, imprisoned in any
fort, camp,
> arsenal,
> military prisons, or other place of confinement, by any military
authority, or by the
> sentence of
> any court-martial or military commission.
> In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of
the United States
> to be
> affixed. Done at the City of Washington, this Twenty-fourth day of
September, in the year
> of
> our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, and of the
Independence of the United
> States the eighty-seventh.
> ABRAHAM LINCOLN. By the President.
> WILLIAM H. SEWARD, Secretary of State."

------
> > It was during a time of armed insurrection, as specified in the
> > Constitution. The United States was rife with traitors, both to our
> > principles and to our government. He did what was necessary. Even
accepting
> > the counterfactual that 9/11 was an armed insurrection, the
Constitution
> > cannot possibly permit the indefinite suspension of habeas corpus
during a
> > permanent war.
> >
> > -- ACS
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM, lfalen <lfalen at turbonet.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Joe
> > > What do you think os Lincoln's suspension of Habeas Corpus?
> > > Roger

Eisentrager

>            http://www.fsr.com/

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't forget to
have fun doin' it.  Lord, let your laughter ring forth.  Be outrageous,
ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can
produce.  And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer
joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it
was."

- Molly
Ivins