[Vision2020] Habeas Corpus at Bagram

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Mon Apr 27 14:46:08 PDT 2009

On April 27, 1861, habeas corpus was suspended by President Abraham Lincoln in Maryland
and parts of midwestern states. It does some good to actually look at what Lincoln wrote
ESPECIALLY the line in the second part when the phrase "during the rebellion" is used. GWB
and
his ilk  NEVER specified a time period, PLUS it specifies "and liable to trial and
punishment by
courts-martial or military commission." When  texas George and his gang tried to pull this
off,
there were NO courts-martial or military commissions to give the prisoners a trial.

"Whereas, It has become necessary to call into service, not only volunteers, but also
portions of
the militia of the States by draft, in order to suppress the insurrection existing in the
United
States, and disloyal persons are not adequately restrained by the ordinary processes of
law
from hindering this measure, and from giving aid and comfort in various ways to the
insurrection. Now, therefore, be it ordered, that during the existing insurrection, and as
necessary measure for suppressing the same, all rebels and insurgents, their aiders and
abettors within the United States, and all persons discouraging volunteer enlistments,
resisting
militia drafts, or guilty of any disloyal practice affording aid and comfort to the rebels
against
the authority of the United States, shall be subject to martial law, and liable to trial
and
punishment by courts-martial or military commission.
Second: That the writ of habeas corpus is suspended in respect to all persons arrested, or
who
are now, or hereafter during the rebellion shall be, imprisoned in any fort, camp,
arsenal,
military prisons, or other place of confinement, by any military authority, or by the
sentence of
any court-martial or military commission.
In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand, and caused the seal of the United States
to be
affixed. Done at the City of Washington, this Twenty-fourth day of September, in the year
of
our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, and of the Independence of the United
States the eighty-seventh.
ABRAHAM LINCOLN. By the President.
WILLIAM H. SEWARD, Secretary of State."