[Vision2020] Jennifer Harbury: "Truth,

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Apr 27 05:44:31 PDT 2009

Are you suggesting, Ted, that . . .

Because the US has utilized torture since Vietnam (a claim that I believe
to be fact based on scenarios explained to me by friends while in the
Army), that it is OK to apply torture tactics today?

One torture tactic explained to me:  A Handful of NVA or VC POWs would be
taken to an altitude of a few thousand feet in a Huey.  At that time they
would be interrogated.  If there were no response, or if the interrogator
did not like the response, the POW was tossed from the helicopter.
Usually, by the fourth or fifth POW, the POWs were more than willing to
provide answers to the interrogator.  Whether or not the answers were
truthful is open for debate.  But, we all know how Vietnam turned out.

Bottom Line:  Torture is torture and is simply WRONG!

> http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?ProgramId=6228&SectionName=
>
> http://www.booktv.org/program.aspx?
ProgramId=6228&SectionName=&PlayMedia=No

> C-Cpan 2 tonight presented a lecture and question and answer session
> featuring Jennifer Harbury, regarding her book "Truth, Torture, and the
> American Way: The History and Consequences of U.S. Involvement in
Torture."
> Her presentation was the most informed, well reasoned and passionate
> offering on this issue that I have ever experienced.  She made clear the
> fact that torture as a tactic of the US military or US intelligence
> operatives (CIA et. al.) has been utilized during and since the Vietnam
War,