[Vision2020] Fw: Red Friday

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Fri Apr 24 12:16:03 PDT 2009

Glad to see this! Now if it just involves MORE than just wearing RED it will help even
more!
Yellow ribbons and wearing red is a great gesture, but MORE is needed!

When I passed through Frankfurt Airport on my way to the Republic of Georgia, I stopped by

the Cafe Gothe, which if you go through Frankfurt, is THE place to stop for great coffee
and
even better pastry.  An older gentleman,around 80, a German, walked up to my table and
asked
if I was an  American soldier.  I told him yes, and invited him to sit down. Over coffee,
he told
me he was a former soldier, and that he was in Russia during the war. He was wounded
there,
and sent home, one of the lucky ones as he put it. He told me of how much he respected
American soldiers and our conduct as the occupiers of his country and picked up the tab at
the
table, it wasn't much, just a few euros. My flight was called for Tblisi and I stood and
started to
walk away, the old soldier stood up, shook my hand and saluted. I still get a lump in my
throat
thinking about it.

Three weeks later, on my way to Warsaw Poland, me and several other Army officers had to
pass through Paris and change airplanes. We jogged across Charles De Gaul airport, knowing

we had only a few minutes to catch our connecting flight. We got to the gate in plenty of
time,
the gate was still opened, and passengers were boarding. We were stopped by French
Customs,
and told we were too late to board, and that as Americans we would have to rebook our
flights.
We pointed out to him that the plane was there, the gate opened and still boarding. He
pointed
out to us that THIS was not the United States and we would have to rebook. We all turned
away,
and headed to the ticket counter, one in our group turned back to him and asked, "maybe
you
didn't understand our situation, do you speak  German?". The customs officer drew himself
up,
and said, "No! I do not speak German!"............ Where upon the soldier looked him in
the eye
and said, "I didn't think so, YOU'RE WELCOME!".

Some memories are more memorable than others.