[Vision2020] "Harsh" Interrogations -As ye sow, so shall you

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:57:09 PDT 2009

Gary --

Absolutely. I am attempting to shame you: support of torture is not a topic
for reasonable disagreement. It is shameful.  You are apparently incapable
of shame.

In order to believe what you do, you have to actively discard information
from the State Department, the US Military, the FBI, the Washington Post,
the New York Times, the law and the historical record. Do you just not
believe the FBI interrogator that reported the filth-covered detainees
chained to the floor? Or the medic that reported that they were treating
detainees for hypothermia after interrogations?  Do you wonder why the FBI,
our primary counterterrorism agency, first withdrew under protest from
interrogating detainees and then was denied access to those detainees? Or
why the CIA destroyed the tapes of interrogations before the change of
administration? Or why the OLC tried to round up and destroy contrary legal
opinions? Explain why you believe that waterboarding -- a practice
recognized as torture by US law, international law, and historical sources
-- is comparable to showers or not providing a barcalounger?

Over the years, I've seen you defend Abu Ghraib as being like a fraternity
initiatition, Guantanamo as being a beachside resort, and attack the Geneva
Convention as a tool of terrorists. You first claimed that we couldn't
possibly have waterboarded and then that waterboarding was acceptable, even
morally. You're like a Holocaust denier in miniature: you believe, against
all evidence, that terrible things didn't happen, but simultaneously carry
the contrary belief that terrible things should've. These are beliefs about
which you should be ashamed.

And yet you're not.

So, tell me, Gary. What are the facts as you believe them to be? Did we
waterboard? Did we leave detainees shackled to the ceiling, stewing in their
own shit? How about week-long periods of sleep deprivation over years of
detention? Did we do that? Do you think this is consistent with our values?
Do you think we should be ordering US servicemen to do this sort of thing?

-- ACS