[Vision2020] Change in the Environment

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 16:10:31 PDT 2009

Here are a couple of questions, if I think of others I'll post more:

Climate change:

What kind of predictive ability do current climate models have?  What is
their track record?  Can they be run on historical data and accurately
predict current conditions?  How many variables do they look at and what
kinds of parameters do they take?  Are the models susceptible to large
changes based on small differences in parameter inputs?

The Sun is currently in a solar minimum, with a 50-year low in solar
wind pressure and a 12-year low in solar irradiance
(http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum.htm).
If the Sun does not exit the solar minimum in the next few years, what
effect will this have on the climate over, say, a five year period?

If every person on earth stopped burning fossil fuels, coal, and other
carbon-heavy fuels tomorrow, how long would it take for the current
level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to drop below it's
pre-industrial levels?

In terms of effect on the climate, how do volcanic activity and
anthropogenic causes compare in magnitude?

Evolution:

Is there a difference between micro- and macro-evolution?  Are there
biological components which are "irreducibly complex"?

Mankind is changing the rules with respect to it's own natural
selection.  The conditions we were bred for no longer affect us as much,
because of modern technology.  We live in climate-controlled buildings,
have access to medical technology that saves lives that would have
otherwise been cut short allowing the "weaker" to survive along with the
"stronger".  What affect is this going to have on the course of our own
evolution?

Where are the largest gaps in the evolutionary history of humans?

Has speciation been observed in the laboratory?

Paul