[Vision2020] From the Legislature

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Thu Apr 23 14:52:42 PDT 2009

April 23, 2009

Greetings from the Legislature.

There are a few details remaining to be resolved before the session ends.

The struggle over transportation funding continues.  It is an understatement to say that it is time to find a good compromise and adjourn.  House leaders apparently haven't gotten that memo.

Today, those leaders proposed that when our economic situation improves and meets a particular benchmark, we should raid the general fund to get $50 million for costs of maintaining roads and bridges.  I suggest that is not a very good idea.  The use of general fund money for transportation needs would be a huge policy change - hardly appropriate for consideration during the waning days of the session.

Future demand for general fund dollars will be great - and we will need to pay close attention to priorities.  This year, general fund support for education is down, although budgets for public schools and higher education are being augmented by one-time stimulus money.   Growth in revenues will be necessary to even keep support at those levels.  The grocery tax credit is being increased incrementally, and will eventually have an increased fiscal impact of $122 million per year.   Personnel costs for public employees have been reduced by 5% this session - we must work to restore their level of pay.

With priorities such as these, it's hard to understand the merit of raiding the general fund for maintaining infrastructure.   I have consistently supported the idea that an increase of revenue for maintaining roads is important.  Lack of timely maintenance proves much more costly in the future.  The idea of a "trigger" that would initiate an increase in the gas tax when economic conditions improve has merit.  However, I am opposed to a proposal that would obtain money for roads at the expense of other priorities.

As always, I am eager to hear your opinion on these issues.  You may reach me by phone at 208-301-2272, or sringo at house.idaho.gov; ringoshirl at moscow.com.

Sincerely,

Shirley Ringo