[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO COMMENDS TAX PROTESTS, DEFICIT AWARENESS

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Apr 22 11:29:57 PDT 2009

Bear stated:

"So it's safe to assume that the Republican Congressman from Idaho is
taking a wide stance in favor of  the issue of teabagging?"

Word is, Bear, that Crapo (pronounced "CRAP-OH") stronly urges teabagging
as, apparently, it stimulates his package.

> So it's safe to assume that the Republican Congressman from Idaho is
taking a wide stance
> in
> favor of  the issue of teabagging?

RELEASE                                                          CONTACT:

> Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150
> >
> > April 15,
2009

>                                Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108
> >

> > CRAPO COMMENDS TAX PROTESTS, DEFICIT AWARENESS
> >
> > Sends letter to Idahoans rallying today
> >

> > Washington, DC - In a demonstration of support, Idaho Senator Mike
Crapo told Idahoans
> who
> are protesting high federal deficits and tax increases through "tea
parties" today that he

> supports their efforts and has the voting record to demonstrate that.
He also noted the
> similarities between today's events and his protest 15 years ago when he
dumped the U.S.
> Tax Code into the Boston Harbor.  As a freshman Congressman in 1994,
Crapo joined with a
> handful of other members of the U.S. House of Representatives to toss a
copy into the
> Harbor, re-enacting the famous protest by American colonists.
> >

> > Crapo addressed today's tax rallies through a written letter, as he
was unable to
> participate in person; he is hosting forums on federal health care
reform in Coeur d'Alene

> and Lewiston.  He sent letters through staff members attending the
events.  The letter
> reads as follows:
> >

> > Many Americans are joining together today across the nation to take a
stand against the
> injustice of excess taxes and spending.  These are historic events that,
as you know,
> mirror the famous Boston Tea Party in 1773, in which the colonists
demonstrated their
> frustration and displeasure with the extent of the British Parliament's
sovereignty over
> the colonies.  While today's gatherings around the country focus on
excessive spending, a
> common theme then and now is unfair taxes.
> >

> > Those of you gathered here today are suffering the burden of the
extreme spending that
> the
> federal government has engaged in over the past year.  Let me recount
the unbridled
> spending legislation passed by Congress since last spring, every one of
which I opposed
> and voted against:
> >

> > *        The Fiscal Year 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill,
> >
> > *        The 2008 stimulus bill which included the rebate checks,
> >
> > *        The Fiscal Year 2009 Appropriations Continuing Resolution,
> >
> > *        The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (otherwise
known as TARP 1 and

> TARP 2),
> >
> > *        The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (otherwise
known as the
> stimulus bill of 2009),
> >
> > *        The Fiscal Year 2009 Omnibus Appropriations bill.
> >

> > These seven pieces of legislation total a staggering 3.2 trillion in
taxpayer dollars.

> > I opposed and voted against each one of these.  In fact, each time a
vote came up, I
> warned that while Idahoans and Americans across the country were cutting
back on their
> spending during difficult times, Congress and the Administration were
proposing to further

> increase federal spending to unprecedented levels and increase the
public debt, placing an

> additional debt burden of tens of thousands of dollars on the head of
every single
> American.
> >

> > This is your money; you deserve to see clearly how spending decisions
by the Congress
> are
> reflected in a rising national debt that will be placed on our children
and grandchildren.

>  To no avail, I reminded my colleagues that we have relied far too
heavily on spending and

> debt creation in hopes that we can revive the economy.  In fact, small
business creates 90

> percent of the jobs in our economy, not the federal government.  We need
to increase
> incentives for business and rework our tax policy to encourage job
creation and new
> investment in the American economy.  The last thing we need during these
difficult
> economic times is a tax increase.
> >

> > $3.2 trillion represents grossly-inflated and fiscally-irresponsible
expenditures of
> taxpayer dollars.  We cannot spend ourselves into prosperity.  Tripling
federal programs
> is not the answer to economic stimulus, and it's certainly not the
answer to sustainable
> growth of small business-the heart and soul of our economy.
> >

> > Debts in the trillions; expiring tax cuts; unchecked entitlement
growth-it's government
> run amok, or, as many here in Idaho have heard me say over the past few
months:  hold on,
> Big Government is back.  Back in 1994, when I was a Member of the House
of
> Representatives, I joined a few of my colleagues in the Boston Harbor on
the very ship on
> which the original Boston Tea Party was held for a re-enactment of that
event.  At that
> time, we physically threw the Internal Revenue Code in Boston Harbor.
My friends, today,
> you are having another Tea Party because we must continue to remain
vigilant and active
> against excessive, unfair and outrageous government spending and
taxation.  My feelings
> about taxes remain unchanged.  Limited government is best, and taxpayers
know better than
> Congress how to allocate their hard-earned dollars.
> >

> > I commend you all on your efforts today.  Continue to let your elected
officials know
> how
> you feel about how your hard-earned taxpayer dollars are being spent,
not just today, but
> until your voices are heard and change truly happens.

> > To directly link to this news release, please use the following
address:

> > http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=311507
> >

> > # # #

> > This is generated from an unattended mailbox. If you have constituent
comments or
> information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo, please do so at
the Senator's
> website, http://crapo.senate.gov<http://crapo.senate.gov/>. Comments
sent to this e-mail
> address will not be responded to.

>            http://www.fsr.com/

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

"So keep fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't forget to
have fun doin' it.  Lord, let your laughter ring forth.  Be outrageous,
ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can
produce.  And when you get through kickin' ass and celebratin' the sheer
joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it
was."

- Molly
Ivins