[Vision2020] Furloughs may be the Best Option

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Mon Apr 20 10:55:45 PDT 2009

Good Morning Visionaries:

Our IFT Higher Education Council meeting went long into the evening on April 15, and we had to adjourn because two faculty had to put their kids to bed and another had to bring in her horses.

We did not get a chance to talk about furloughs, which, handled properly, might be the best solution.  First, furloughs would not erode base pay; second, as faculty at Louisiana State University have proposed, lost pay could be made up at a later date or at retirement; third, if the money is recouped, then a lawsuit for tenured faculty salary may become a moot point.

Nick Gier, President, IFT Higher Education Council.