[Vision2020] State Faculty Union Responds to Financial Crisis

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Apr 17 08:47:17 PDT 2009

Hi Jennifer,

If I understand you point correctly, you are saying that some of your
best teachers were associate professors.  Many of these fine
professors (all of them tenured by the way) have been stalled in
their rank and have been the denied the promotion increment (now at
$8,500 mainly due to union pressure) that would increase their base
salary.  Even though the faculty passed the "teacher scholar"
provision many years ago (such that a professor can have as little as
10 percent research), the promotion committees have not honored the
work that these hard working professor have done.  When the
committees do affirm the concept of teacher scholar, the Provost,
especially the current one, has vetoed departmental decisions to
promote.  We lost a very fine professor in criminal justice (an area
where it is difficult to find applicants) to LCSC because he was
perceived as not publishing enough.  We also almost lost Kerry
McKeever (now an administrator in New York somewhere) but she fought
hard with union support and won one of the very few reversals of
denial of tenure.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick