[Vision2020] State Faculty Union Responds to Financial Crisis

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Fri Apr 17 08:32:26 PDT 2009

Hi Joe,

If WSU has a financial exigency policy or program reduction
procedures, then it is true that the administration can fire tenured
faculty members.  If the policies are anything like ours, the target
must be programs and not faculty.

During the 1981 UI exigency I interviewed all 17 faculty on the
lay-off list, and in every case we heard the complaint that "dean has
been wanting to fire me for a long time."  We eventually won our suit
(over $1 million for 8 faculty members) because we were able to show
that the ag. dean had ordered $100,000 worth of computer equipment,
which of course undermined his claim of financial emergency.

Tenure is not a myth.  It's legally solid except for these
circumstances, and it serves primarily to protect academic freedom so
that Joe and I can research and teach controversial issues.

Why don't some of you start an AFT chapter? In the late 70s I spent
an entire spring break signing up about 40 WSU faculty, but the
Washington AFT officials did not follow up. Granted, AAUP has the
principles (I was a member for many years) but AFT has the courage
and resources to fight for those principles.

Hope that you and your department survive.

Nick

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to
human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson  (Thanks for this quote Jennifer!)

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi