[Vision2020] U of I Discrimination to Veterans

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 11:51:37 PDT 2009

Here are a couple of links with information.  One is from the Faculty /
Staff Handbook and the other is from the State of Idaho department of
labor.  Both discuss policies having to do with veterans and employment.

http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/fsh/3060.html
http://dhr.idaho.gov/Default.aspx?TabId=979&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

The difference appears to be that the University of Idaho follows the
federal guidelines which prevent discrimination against veterans similar
to gender, ethnicity, etc., and the State gives veterans a small
preference to use for scoring purposes.  Thus, if a contest for a
position is close and the veteran is slightly less qualified than the
other applicant, the veteran will be chosen if the job is a State job,
the other applicant will be chosen if the job is at the U of I.

As for the constitutional exemption, I assume they are talking about
Article IX, section 10 of the State constitution
(http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/IC/ArtIXSect10.htm):

Section 10.State University -- Location, regents, and lands. The
location of the University of Idaho, as established by existing laws, is
hereby confirmed. All the rights, immunities, franchises, and
endowments, heretofore granted thereto by the territory of Idaho are
hereby perpetuated unto the said university. The regents shall have the
general supervision of the university, and the control and direction of
all the funds of, and appropriations to, the university, under such
regulations as may be prescribed by law. No university lands shall be
sold for less than ten dollars per acre, and in subdivisions not to
exceed one hundred and sixty acres, to any one person, company or
corporation.

I assume it's the "All the rights, immunities, franchises, and
endowments, heretofore granted thereto by the territory of Idaho are
hereby perpetuated unto the said university. " part that they are
referring to.  I don't know what rights or immunities the territory of
Idaho might have bestowed upon the University.  Also, IANAL (I am not a
lawyer), so I don't know how this would be applied on the question of
veteran's rights.

For full disclosure, I'm a programmer that has worked for the University
of Idaho on HR data, but I am not speaking for the University, nor am I
qualified to do so on this topic.  I just wanted to seek out some of
this data for discussion purposes.  I don't know what my personal
opinion is on this subject, but whatever it is I wouldn't construe it to
match that of the University.

Paul