[Vision2020] Legislative Update XIII April 4-9

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Apr 11 08:05:59 PDT 2009

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER XIII--APRIL 4-9/2009

Constituents:    As Mark Twain once said,  "Every man's life, liberty,
and property is at risk until the Legislature Sine Die's."    We are
still in Boise and it looks like another week.
Here are some of the highlights of the week.

  1.  SB1148--Governor Otter's Alcohol Bill is up for the second day of
debate in House Jud and Rules Committee.   Over 50 citizens turned out to
testify.   The bill is presented as an economic stimulus bill for the
state based on the doubling and trebling of liquor licenses--even
McDonald's could qualify. The Governor's Attorney who presented the bill
said that all important groups were represented in the negotiations.
However, MADD, the PTA,  Drug Rehab organizations, and the IEA (which
represents over 14,000 teachers and 270,000 students and families) were
not invited.

 2. HB135--The Governor's bill to increase the tax on gas by 2
cents/gallon failed on a 32-37 vote.   I supported the bill.

 3. Common Sense--We passed legislation restoring 41 auditor positions of
the Idaho State Tax Commission. The cost of the positions with salaries
and benefits is about $1,000,000 and they are expected to recover about
$6-$7 million in unpaid taxes--a good investment.

 4.  Legalizing the Growing of Industrial Hemp for Farmers As An
Alternative Crop  -Barney Frank and Ron Paul introduced HR1866 yesterday
in Congress.   Representative Paul said a few days ago in Congress, "It
is unfortunate that the federal government has stood in the way of
American farmers, including many who are struggling to make ends meet,
from competing in the global industrial hemp market.”  He added, "Indeed
the founders of our nation, some of whom grew hemp, would surely find
that federal restrictions on farmers growing a safe and profitable crop
on their own land are inconsistent with the constitutional guarantee of a
limited, restrained federal government." I have been advocating similar
legislation in Idaho for 12 years and I'm having new legislation drawn up
consistent with the federal legislation.

 5.  Four Day School Week--17 school districts in Idaho have now gone to
a four day week.  The new Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan said in an
interview on Tuesday that his plans for school reform include making sure
students spend more time in school.  "I fundamentally think that our
school day is too short, our school week is too short and our school year
is too short.  You're competing for jobs with kids from India and China.
I think schools should be open six, seven days a week, 11, 12 months a
year," said Duncan in a recent interview.   A study of the impact of the
four day school week is now being conducted in Idaho.

  6.  SB1015--Day Care Licensing--the goal of this bill is the matter of
keeping children safe.   There appears to be a good chance that with the
House amendments the bill may be passed.  Licensing requirements for
child care centers with 13 or more children would include fire and safety
inspections.   This would also cover centers taking care of 7 or more
children.  Criminal backgound checks would be required of anyone caring
for more than four children.

 7.  Quagga Mussel Legislation--The Idaho Senate has approved a bill that
raises registration fees for boaters to help keep invasive quagga and
zebra mussels from invading Idaho waters.  HB 213 goes to the Governor.
The measure would create a $10 sticker for registered boats and
watercraft longer than 10 feet.  Out-of- state boaters would buy a $20
sticker.  The funds would pay for special inspection and boat washing to
rid the boats of the mussels and their tiny eggs.  SCR109 which
authorizes the use of deficiency warrants by the Director of the Idaho
State Agricultural Department to help pay the costs of combating the
mussels.  I co-sponsored both bills.

 8.  Subprime Mortgage Loans--Idaho Attorney General, Lawrence Wasden,
recently reported that State Attorney General's warned the Federal
Government at least five years ago about the subprime mortgage problem.
The warning was directed at the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
which is the Federal Agency responsible for oversight of national banks.
Not only did the OCC reject this warning but decided to preempt
protective state laws as they applied to national banks.   State consumer
protection laws designed to protect consumers from deceptive and
predatory lenders, to ensure responsible mortgage lending, and help to
preserve a stable financial market at the state level were all negated at
the Federal level.  Again, another part of a sad story.

 9. Words for the Day--In the end we will conserve only what we love.  We
will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are
taught.  Baba Dioum, Senegalese Conservationist.

Hopefully next week will wrap things up, but as always I appreciate your
comments, suggestions, and ideas.

My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and phone (208) 332-1184.

Representative Tom Trail