[Vision2020] SJR 101 passes Idaho House

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Wed Apr 8 15:13:33 PDT 2009

Donovan,

While I am opposed to this particular amendment to the state constitution, my opposition
is not
to tuition!  The University of Idaho, since it's inception has not been allowed to charge
tuition
because of the state constitution, and for as long as I can remember has never gotten
enough
funding from the legislature for one reason or another. When the University had to resort
charging "Fees", which is allowed, it was a game of smoke and mirrors, and what this
particular
legislation does is finally call a spade a spade, and brings much needed funds into the
University primarily for wages.

Now, what we SERIOUSLY need to look into is can a state, the size of Idaho afford four 4
year
colleges/universities? We have a million and a half people in the state. We are ranked
44th in
population, can we afford to sustain four University systems? Yes, I know the geography
and
population distribution easily lends itself to having four, but can we afford it?  Lets be
honest,
is there any reason on God's green earth why two of the four 4 year schools are 30 miles
apart? What would cost less, a means of getting students up here from Lewiston or
maintaining
LCSC for a year?

> I wish somebody would oppose this bill. The idea of raping Idaho students
f> rom what little money they have left to get a college education is
wro> ng.

> Out of state and out of country students are already charged tuition. This
> bill only allows the UI to charge local and state resident students
tuition> .. It will allow UI to rack up the debt even further on our own local
s> tudents making UI only affordable to people outside of Idaho, not the
taxpa> yers that support the UI. We will subsidizing the education of more out of
> state students at the expense of our local ones.
>
> It is going to take me over 20 years to pay off my student loans because I
> work and live in Idaho. If I had to pay an addition $2000 a year in
tuition>  at UI, I would have in no way been able to afford to go.

> This is a worthless bill, unless you want to hurt the right of local
studen> ts to get a quality education.

> I believe that the original poster is incorrect in their assumption that
mo> ney will appear in the hands of Idahoans simply because UI has
th> e ability to charge them more.

> Best Regards,
>
> Donovan

euphemist> ically call them fees).

> Rep. Shirley Ringo spoke eloquently on behalf of the University of Idaho
an> d the need to level the playing field between the U of I and the
stateâ> €™s other institutions of higher education.

> Even Rep. Grant Burgoyne, a freshman Democrat from Boise and U of I alum
wh> o opposed the measure, spoke at length in support of the U of I and of the
> contribution of higher education to the state’s economic
developmen> t.

> Not a peep from Rep. Tom Trail in support of the institution that is the
ec> onomic lifeblood of our community.

   http://www.fsr.> net

=====