[Vision2020] National Service?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 7 13:59:43 PDT 2009

Bear,

I think you misunderstood me. I am not saying National Service would be established for the purpose of indoctrination, just that it would likely happen. For example, if you required people to do it, you could sneak programs and belief systems into it, such as a creed of nationalism, D.A.R.E. Programs, etc. We do it with mandatory education programs for children, this would go to adults as well. A whole slew of special interest groups would be looking to tuck their program or requirement into the training and service.

Second, I don't think everyone fits the generic term of service. Remember, most US Citizens pay taxes directly or indirectly, and this is a form of service. I go to work and pay 20%+ of my income directly to taxes. I pay more on the property taxes through rent, gas tax, license taxes, clothing, food taxes, medication tax, and I am sure more I don't think about.

In addition, I think my jobs of working for a non-profit taking care of those with severe disabilities and the elderly is a service to the community, (especially considering the pay :P) and I am much better at it than something the government would pick for me.

I think you are very correct that anyone that wishes to apply for a high paying government job should demonstrate they have contributed to their community in some way or fashion at some point.

Best Regards,

Donovan