[Vision2020] "Life of Reilly" by Rick Reilly (April 3, 2009)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 3 12:58:49 PDT 2009

"Life of reilly"
By Rick Reilly

Hasheem Thabeet is a long, tall, shot-blocking machine with an NBA future.
But that's not why he can't stop smiling.

The beauty in The Beast is the problem. He kids. He dances. He hugs. And
this is in the first half. He laughs. He tells jokes. He does his Dick
Vitale impression. During warmups. He is the least of beasts, actually.

But UConn's 7'3'' junior center Hasheem (The Beast) Thabeet can't help it.
He is terminally cheerful. He knows what NBA scouts have said about him:
Not nearly mean and nasty enough … most (NBA) guys will go right through
him. Which is undeniably true. You can see for yourself this Final Four,
as 'Sheem the Beam and the Huskies roll into Detroit. He gets the rebound
and tiny people slap his wrists until he lets it go. Runts push him off
the blocks like cops with nightsticks. His dunk would hardly dent a
marshmallow.

"I do not know how to control this," grins Thabeet (thaa-BEET). "Maybe
I'll be mean enough someday."

Unlikely.

Example: You ask The Beast if you can speak to his mom. He gives you his
own cell number and says, "I will translate!" So, later, you call it, sure
you've got a fake, and his voicemail answers. So you leave a message like
you've left a thousand others with athletes, knowing you will not get a
call back. Except in less than an hour he's calling you back. "I wanted to
be sure to return your call right away!" he says.

Dude. I'm going to need to see some ID.

On most any day at UConn, Ucan see The Beast in the Student Union quad,
eating lunch, surrounded by 12 to 15 students, all of them giggling. He
absorbs everything, a kind of SpongeBob Tall Pants. In Tanzania, he was a
model, a TV crewmember, and a security guard at concerts. And that was
before his 15th birthday. "They thought I was much older," he
laughs. "People would let me do anything!"

Really? You? A bouncer? "Oh, no, I was terrible. The fights would start
and I would run away!"

You begin to see the problem.

One day, his father lent him his best atlas to take to fifth grade show
and tell. He promptly lost it. Hasheem feared his father's whipping stick
so much that he was too scared to come home. His mother found him that
night on the streets, crying.

"He's a very sensitive kid," says UConn trainer James Doran. "When he
first got here, any little thing would send him into a panic. He's much
better now."

Although, in UConn's Elite Eight win over Missouri last weekend, Thabeet
hurt his ring finger going after a loose ball. The way he flailed around,
you'd have thought he lost an eyeball.

"Well, if you let him," says Doran. "He'll roll clear to the other bucket."

So you can imagine how Thabeet took it after his Oxford-educated architect
father died of diabetes complications when 'Sheem was just 14. The boy was
so distraught he quit school. He began taking odd jobs, believing he
needed to provide for his mother and two siblings.

"I was so worried about him," says his dressmaker mother, Rukia. "I only
wanted him to go back to school."

He finally did. A year later, a coach in 'Sheem's hometown of Dar es
Salaam talked him into trying hoops. But the guys playing it were all so …
so … mean! "I was scared. So I lied. I told him I didn't have any gears
[sic]. But then he gave me gears [sic]. So I had no choice but to play."

Seven years later, the hoops world is about to discover his best gears --
sending shots back to their makers. Mean or not, he and his Boeing
wingspan are second in the nation in blocks this season. At one point this
year, he swatted away a three and the opposing coach looked up at him and
said, "Thabeet, can't you just let one go?"

When UConn bested Missouri Saturday and the last-second rebound fell into
Thabeet's arms, he celebrated like he'd just taken the Bastille. He
skipped, pogo-ed, and screamed. He ran 30 rows up into the stands and held
his mom. "Thank you for raising me," he gushed, and they both cried. He
waved the Tanzanian flag. He grabbed the trophy and struck a Heisman pose.

If UConn wins it all, it would be the first hoops team greeted in the
White House by Barack Obama, the first president with African roots. That
makes The Beast's eyes a little misty. "I only wish my father could be
here to share this with me," he says, still hugging the ball.

So many players in this Final Four, in this draft, in this game, live
their lives for a nearly unreachable thing: starring in the NBA. Most of
them won't star; most won't even get there. It can be crushing. But
Thabeet is one kid I don't worry about. His light you can't put out. He is
more resilient than a Slinky. And it's nice to know that whatever happens,
Thabeet goes on.

------

Hasheem Thabeet
http://tinyurl.com/HasheemThabeet

Seeya round town, Moscow

Join us at The First Annual Intolerista Wingding, April 17th, featuring
Roy Zimmerman and Jeanne McHale.  For details go to . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Wingding

Seeya
there.