[Vision2020] NATO Secretary General: Afghanistan's Law Threatening Violation of Women's/Human Rights

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:32:29 PDT 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7981340.stm

Nato Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer told the BBC's Mark Mardell:
"We are there to defend universal values and when I see, at the moment, a
law threatening to come into effect which fundamentally violates women's
rights and human rights, that worries me."

He added: "I have a problem to explain and President Karzai knows this,
because I discussed it with him. I have a problem to explain to a critical
public audience in Europe, be it the UK or elsewhere, why I'm sending the
guys to the Hindu Kush."

France's Human Rights Minister Rama Yade also expressed her "sharp concern"
at the law, saying it "recalls the darkest hours of Afghanistan's history".