[Vision2020] Say What?

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Wed Apr 1 15:10:49 PDT 2009

Donovan,

We finally agree on something!

The executive branch didn't wait for a decision by the Federal Courts before it decided
that the
POW's were "terrorists" or were national security threats. They could have by the way
gotten an
advisory opinion. They just rounded them up and tossed them into Guantánamo Bay Detention
Camp, which in their convoluted logic put the prisoners  OUTSIDE the jurisdiction of US
Federal
law, even though they were/are being held on a US military base. The Federal Courts have
disagreed. The executive branch  did so at its peril, as there are now international
indictments
being looked into and I also fully expect that there will be US Federal criminal charges
brought
against those responsible.  Which, by the way is MORE  judicial oversight than they gave
the
poor SOB's that they locked up there! And just wait till the civil suits start rolling in!

And I agree with your definition of a terrorist as someone who uses violence or threatens
the
use of  violence, or someone who assists those, as a means of achieving a
political or social goal, without the backing of an elected group of people
 or legitimate government.

WHO in Iraq or Afghanistan elected the US to do what we did or are doing there? No one! So
by
your definition, WE are the terrorists in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And we did over throw

legitimately elected governments to do that. You may not agree with the kind of
governments
that were elected, and you might not like the way they were elected, but does the US have
any
say so in HOW other countries elect they governments?

But that's ok, since again, based on your definition, we were founded as a nation by
terrorists.
There was NO election or legitimate government of the 13  separate colonies so the folks
that
formed the colonial armed forces were in fact, again, according to your definition,
terrorists.
Is there any doubts in your mind that "traitors" like Ben Franklin and George Washington
would
have been hung for treason?

My whole point is that one man's terrorist is another mans Freedom Fighter. Both Nelson
Mandella in Africa, and Menachem Begin started out as terrorists.

> Bear,
> The executive branch doesn't wait for a decision to be made by a US
Federal Court to hold a prisoner of war or a person of national security.

 To me a terrorist is someone who uses violence or threatens the