[Vision2020] Election Year Pledge for Clergy

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 29 13:05:52 PDT 2008

The Interfaith Alliance Pledge at:

http://www.interfaithalliance.org/clergypledge

Interfaith Alliance is calling on clergy to stand up for religious freedom
by signing a pledge to uphold certain standards during the election
season. We ask clergy to pledge:

To educate members of our congregation about how our faith relates to
issues of the day.

To refrain from endorsing any candidate, either explicitly or implicitly,
in or on behalf of our house of worship.

To prevent partisan speech from candidates or their surrogates, as well as
the distribution of partisan materials, in our house of worship.

To resist using or soliciting the resources of our house of worship for
the exclusive benefit of any candidate or party.

To respect candidates whose religious beliefs are different from my own,
and stand against the use of religion to divide our communities.

To encourage members of our congregation to take an active role in civic
life, including casting informed votes.

Local pastors are encouraged to set the example of their faith by signing
the pledge at:

http://tinyurl.com/4u5ulf

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)