[Vision2020] jokes and being consistent

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Sep 28 10:08:29 PDT 2008

I have seen the SNL segment (via online video).

It is definitely NOT the type of humor I have come to expect from the
writers of SNL.  As a result of this video, I have lost respect for that
show.

The video disgusts me.  As much comedic fodder our presidential candidates
have provided for stand-up comedians and writers, it seems that SNL has
degenerated to no-holes-barred, anything-for-a-laugh as suggested by their
sick exploitation of incest.

> >From my blog:
>
> Well, at least Dale Courtney announced his disgust before posting a
> video clip of Saturday Night Live's skit about Todd Palin and the
> parentage of his daughter's child.
>
> I suppose that's an
> improvement, but Dale does feel it necessary to make the point that
> progressives must think it's funny to joke about incest, pedophilia,
> and the like. That's absurd, of course, just as it's absurd to suggest
> that all conservatives trade in racist jokes. But Dale's world seems to
> have been shaken just a bit, so I'll join him in denouncing as vile,
> tasteless, and utterly inappropriate this or any joke about who
> fathered Bristol Palin's baby -- or who gave birth to Todd Palin's
> youngest child. In fact, and I've said this before, candidates' kids
> should be kept out of the spotlight and the ugliness inside it, and I
> hate jokes about incest as much as I hate jokes about race.
>
> Now,
> in the sentences above, I've probably given enough context that any of
> my readers, even without morning caffeine, can guess what the SNL joke
> was -- and this is to give understanding to what I'm condemning. But I
> don't feel the need to lift ugliness from one spot in the blogosphere
> to infect mine. Dale not only has the video clip, but much of the text
> of the joke. Wouldn't it be better to spend more time commenting
> (negatively, I hope) on trash than in providing it a bigger audience?
>
> And
> no, I didn't see the SNL piece. Don't intend to. That's my point. Tell
> me that a joke depends on the horror of incest for a laugh, and I'll
> join you in condemning it. It's an SNL skit, for heaven's sake; it
> doesn't require much more digging for context, as I would if someone
> told me a local pastor's book had a racist bit of commentary in it, or
> accused a Maya Angelou book of being too sexually explicit for a
> teenager. I'd read it, fully, and provide citations for my critique --
> but a nasty TV skit probably needs only a brief description, not the
> full audio-visual with accompanying text. Nonetheless, I'm sure it'll
> make Dale's day that I join him in thinking that the skit was
> disgusting. That's certainly not a "progresive" or "conservative"
> thing.
>

> Keely
> http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/

> See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are
part>  of your life.
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/>

"Jesus was a community organizer and Poncius Pilate was a governor."

- Marilyn Trail, sister of Representative Tom trail (September 8, 2008)

----

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)