[Vision2020] Accounting for Derivatives

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Sep 28 08:54:48 PDT 2008

Not surprisingly, many of you are struggling with
the accounting standards and principles required
for derivative financial instruments.

The dominant standard for accounting for
derivative financial statements is FASB Statement
133: Accounting for Derivative Instruments and Hedging Activites.

I have appended the official "Summary" of FAS 133
for you.  I would be willing to try to answer questions that you have.

Keep in mind that FAS 133 runs over 500
paragraphs and has been amended numerous times since its release in 1998.

Despite it's length, the underlying standard is
rather crisp as noted by the standard in Paragraph 17:

>Recognition of Derivatives and Measurement of
>Derivatives and Hedged Items
>17. An entity shall recognize all of its derivative instruments
>in its statement of financial position as either
>assets or liabilities depending on the rights or obligations
>under the contracts. All derivative
>instruments shall be measured at fair value.

Here is the Summary: