[Vision2020] Barrack Hussein Obama

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Sep 27 10:00:20 PDT 2008

I would also point out that before the internet, newspapers had to use shorthand when possible for headline-counting purposes -- thus FDR, JFK, LBJ, which then lead to the obvious use of their middle names in the text of the story.

Headlines used to be set on a point system -- most letters were a single point, except for "m" and "o," which were two-pointers, and "f l i t j ,"  which we pronounced "flit-jay,"  which were 1/2 points.  When your editor screamed he wanted, say, a 30-count sug head, you knew that the all-caps FDR (6 points) gave you a lot more flexibility than writing "Roosevelt" (just for fun, 8 1/2 points -- The capital "R" is 2, and this has now ceased to be at all interesting . . . )

But the point stands.  It's no longer the case that in the vernacular, we use candidate's middle names -- does anyone know McCain's? -- except for those who appreciate the race-baiting benefits of hawking "Hussein."

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/