[Vision2020] [spam] Debate about the bailout

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Sep 26 10:41:35 PDT 2008

While most of us are still trying to fully
comprehend the fiscal impacts of the proposed
"bailout", many also realize that time may be of
the essence here.  If the credit markets are
constipated, then money capital can't flow to
those that need it - hence payrolls may be
skipped, payables left open, loans defaulted,
etc.  This appears to be what Wall Street is focusing on.

A growing number of experts are now suggesting
that rather than a direct intervention into the
"pricing of assets" (purchasing mortgages), the
Fed should provide loans and loan guarantees to
troubled institutions.  This strategy has proven
successful in past economic crises (Chrysler and
S& L's) and lowers the initial investment of tax payer dollars.

It also provides an immediate return on the money
put into play (interest).  It provides a means
for the pricing of assets to continue to be
driven by supply and demand, risk and
return.  For those with less savvy, it would be
much akin to Dad co-signing his son's loan for a car (or Mom and daughter).

It properly tasks the companies that are in
trouble with choosing their strategies for
survival.  Some won't make it (and shouldn't),
but others will - and that will provide the means
for long-term stability.  Markets will clear -
investors will seek to purchase good assets at fair prices.

All that said - limits on executive compensation
must be part of the provisions of the loans granted to troubled entities.

As I understand the situation, this is what the
House Republicans have been advocating.  I just
heard that some House Dems are also considering this.

Loans and loan guarantees mitigate the immediate
investment of $ 700 B and buy time to fully consider the fiscal needs.

By the way, efforts to throw the blame on the
accounting rules are bunk - Mark to market was
the means by which this whole house of cards was
revealed.  Had we not had mark to market rules in
place, this whole mess might have been undetected
for some time and the consequences even more severe.