[Vision2020] What Makes Moscow Business-Unfriendly?

Dan Carscallen areaman at moscow.com
Thu Sep 25 11:53:53 PDT 2008

Wayne asks:
"Can someone explain why there is a restriction on businesses serving
alcohol in the vicinity of churches? "

Vizzz peeps,

This stems from Idaho Code 23-913, which reads:

TITLE  23
                             ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
                                  CHAPTER 9
                      RETAIL SALE OF LIQUOR BY THE DRINK
    23-913.  LICENSEE NOT ALLOWED NEAR CHURCHES OR SCHOOLS --
EXCEPTIONS. No
license shall be issued for any premises in any neighborhood which is
predominantly residential or within 300 feet of any public school,
church, or
any other place of worship, measured in a straight line to the nearest
entrance to the licensed premises, except with the approval of the
governing
body of the municipality; provided, that this limitation shall not apply
any duly licensed premises that at the time of licensing did not come
within
the restricted area but subsequent to licensing same [came] therein.

I can't explain the "why", as I was not a part of writing said law.

Mind you, this is as far as I'll go on this until the Oct 6 meeting.

Oh, and nice to see you online again, Wayne.

DC