[Vision2020] Congress: We have {Bailout] deal

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Sep 25 10:44:26 PDT 2008

>From CNN at:

http://tinyurl.com/3jzjdy

Congress: We have deal

Lawmakers agree on principles to send to Bush - say plan to protect
taxpayers and ensure oversight.

By Tami Luhby, CNNMoney.com senior writer
September 25, 2008: 1:28 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Lawmakers have reached a bipartisan deal on the
$700 billion financial bailout plan being pushed by the Bush
administration.

Both parties and both houses agreed Thursday to a set of principles on
revisions to the rescue plan, which calls for the Treasury Department to
buy up bad mortgage securities from banks in an effort to get them to lend
again.

The deal will help homeowners, curb executive pay packages at
participating firms and provide oversight of Treasury's actions, said Sen.
Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., a key architect of the congressional effort. He
did not provide details but said lawmakers will sit down with Treasury
officials to discuss it.

"We've reached a fundamental agreement on a set of principles, one, for
taxpayers, which is tremendously important," Dodd said.

Americans should "legitimately feel better about the overall approach,"
said Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., who heads the House Financial Services
Committee.

Taxpayers will be protected under the Congressional version of the
bailout, said Rep. Spencer Bachus, R-Ala., the top Republican on the House
Financial Services Committee.

Seeya at Farmers' Market, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)