[Vision2020] Crosswalk Flags: Another Pedestrian Crossing on Pullman Road Hit

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 19:36:25 PDT 2008

Walter,

Thanks for the response. I am glad you are a proponent of the orange flags. They seem to work well for other communities. Perhaps Moscow needs some motivation and education from the student leadership and University. Obviously, stealing a red flag can result in someone, including a little kid, getting run over by a vehicle. I am sure fewer people would steal them if they realized this fact.

Another idea, is if businesses were allowed to print their logo, name, and contact information on the flags. So if they are stolen, their advertising is taken all over town and help absorb the loss in cost of replacing them.

If someone gets run over because they don't use the flag, or light, or follow pedestrian safety rules and laws, as others have pointed out, that is there own fault. However, I think that all of these tools should be available to students and pedestrians.

I think good old fashion police enforcement at the start of the school year would do wonders as well. Trying to wait until the last weeks of school to take a strict enforcement of the traffic laws is not going to work.

Another assist with this issue would be to get the state to allow us to lower the speed limit. Get a student petition to Governor Otter, who has the authority to lower the speed limit on state highways.

Best Regards,

Donovan