[Vision2020] one injured in crossing

Matt Decker mattd2107 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:55:13 PDT 2008

Yes thank you. We can spend thousands if not millions for a crosswalk and stoplight at every intersection, but it will not solve idiots crossing whenever they wish. I am sick and tired of pedestrians and bikers doing as they please, then blaming the driver who just hit them, when they were at fault.

Two years ago I hit an idiot who thought he could wear headphones and not use a crosswalk. This smuck decides that he can cross without even looking and what do you know, I smack him with my passenger side mirror. After I stop and he gathers what just happened, I jump out, throw my hands in the air(like WTF are you doing), he just walks off like it was a daily event. No respect to others or himself.

No doubt, drivers need to keep their eyes open at all times. We all could slow down and stop for the person trying to cross the street. On the flip note, If I am a pedestrian, I will make darn sure the street is clear before I cross it. The old rule of thumb, look twice then cross, pops into mind.

Bikers!!!!! QUIT moving from sidewalk to street then back to sidewalk. If you feel you must congest the streets, then follow the rules. Use hand signals, don't weave, and understand drivers don't know what your next move is.

Adding stop lights and crosswalks won't solve it. Prevention will. Teach our youth to respect cars. Cars own the road not bikers and pedestrians. Learn it, live it, teach it.

matt